The use of your copy of Life on a Line Second Edition is subject to the following EULA, to which you must agree as part of the purchase process:-
End User Licence Agreement for Life on a Line Second Edition, eBook version
NOTICE: PLEASE READ THIS EULA CAREFULLY. BY USING ALL OR ANY PORTION OF THE PRODUCT YOU ACCEPT ALL THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
1. Definitions. "eBook" means (a) all of the contents of the files, disk(s), CD-ROM(s) or other media containing copies of the publication entitled "Life on a Line: Second Edition" by Dr DF Merchant. "Use" or "Using" means to access, install, download, print, copy or otherwise benefit from using the content of the eBook. "Computer" means an electronic device that accepts information in digital or similar form and manipulates it for a specific result based on a sequence of instructions. "Our"/"the Author and Publisher" means Dr DF Merchant and UVSAR and their authorised agents and representatives, the legal point of contact to whom is via the website at http://www.lifeonaline.com or by post to Life On A Line, BCM UVSAR, London WC1N 3XX.
2. eBook License. As long as you comply with the terms of this End User License Agreement (the "Agreement"), the Author and Publisher grants to you a non-exclusive license to Use the eBook for all reasonable purposes excepting those specifically prohibited by this Agreement. In this context, 'reasonable purposes' include those tasks and uses commonly expected to be performed by the reader of an eBook, namely the opening, display, searching and printing of the content for personal use.
2.1. PDF File Use. You may download and Use a copy of the PDF eBook file on your computer for reading, reference and production of printouts, however you may not make the PDF file or sections thereof available on any public network, webserver, email server, FTP or Peer-to-Peer network in any form. This means that transferring the eBook onto any webserver or public network, even without the presence of the file being publicised, is not permitted.
2.2 Access Credentials. You will ensure that your access credentials as supplied on completion of the purchase process remain secure and are used solely by you and in accordance with this Agreement.
2.3 Downloads. You may attempt to download the eBook PDF file up to five times. Downloads are logged. This means that after five attempts, your access details will no longer work. If you are using a download manager system that collects large files in several small chunks, each chunk will be counted towards your allocation - so you need to be careful.
2.4 Publication and print-on-demand. You may not submit the eBook, in whole or in part, to any publishing or print-on-demand service of any form. The worldwide publication rights for the book remain solely with the Author and Publisher, and your purchase extends no license to publish or resell the work, either electronically or in printed form. Submissions to online publication and printing agencies are monitored and may result in legal action being taken against you.
2.5. Full Printouts. You may use the PDF eBook file to produce one physical printout of the entire eBook on paper, via your personal computer printer. You may not cause more than one full printout from your copy of the eBook to exist at any one time, or create full printouts for resale or publication. This means that you may reprint a second full printout only if the first full printout is destroyed.
2.6. Partial Printouts. You may produce partial printouts of up to 10% of the total content (twenty pages) for the purposes of education and reference, subject to those printouts as made by you not forming more than 30% of a full printout when in combination. As many partial printouts as you wish can be made, but they cannot be published, distributed in bulk or sold, and all are subject to the limitations in Section 5. For the purposes of this clause, 'in bulk' shall mean the supply of partial printouts to more than fifty individuals.
3. Intellectual Property Rights. The eBook and any copies that you are authorized by the Author and Publisher to make are the intellectual property of and are owned by the Author and Publisher. The contents of the eBook, both in text and artwork, are the valuable trade assets and of the Author and Publisher. The eBook is protected by copyright, including without limitation by United Kingdom Copyright Law, international treaty provisions and applicable laws in the country in which it is being used. You may not copy or print the eBook, except as set forth in Section 2. Any copies that you are permitted to make pursuant to this Agreement must contain the same copyright and other proprietary notices that appear on or in the eBook. This Agreement does not grant you any intellectual property rights in the eBook or contents thereof.
4. Transfer. You may not, rent, lease, sublicense or authorize all or any portion of the eBook to be copied onto another user's computer except as may be expressly permitted herein. You may, however, transfer all your rights to Use the eBook to another person or legal entity provided that: (a) you retain no copies, including printouts, backups and copies stored on a computer; and (b) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this Agreement and any other terms and conditions upon which you legally purchased a license to the eBook. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not transfer "not for resale" copies of the Software.
5. Use for Commercial Gain. You may not use the eBook or printouts, extractions or artwork therein for the furtherence of commercial training or education where delegates are charged a fee, including but not limited to the use of such material as part of course handouts, lecture slides, etc., nor may you sell copies of the material for commercial gain. This does not prevent the use of the eBook for training of rescue teams or within clubs and societies, where membership of the club requires annual subscriptions or contributions. It applies to business activities where the student is paying for a specific training or education course and a profit is made by those providing the training.
6. Use for policy documentation. You may not use the eBook as-is within a policy document, legal claim or dispute. Limited extracts and rewordings are permitted up to a total of 20% of the eBook per document produced. The Author and Publisher will not be held liable in any way for the use of this material within a legal document. This means that you cannot simply attach a full printout of the eBook to your team's policy documents or use the contents of the eBook as evidence in a court case. You are welcome to use the techniques and information as a basis for your own documents, but you need to do the work to make those documents your own.
7. Limitation of liability. In no event will the Author and Publisher be liable to you for any damages, claims or costs whatsoever or any consequential, indirect, incidental damages, or any lost profits or lost savings, even if a representative of the author has been advised of the possibility of such loss, damages, claims or costs or for any claim by any third party. the foregoing limitations and exclusions apply to the extent permitted by applicable law in your jurisdiction. Our aggregate liability under or in connection with this agreement shall be limited to the amount paid for the eBook, if any. The Author and Publisher are acting on behalf of their suppliers for the purpose of disclaiming, excluding and/or limiting obligations, warranties and liability as provided in this Agreement, but in no other respects and for no other purpose.10. Alteration and bypassing of security features. It is a criminal act to alter or bypass any security features protecting the content of the eBook, inlcuding but not limited to attempts to remove, alter or obfuscate copyright, edit/extract or printing controls, metadata and identification headers. You are not granted any right to convert or translate the eBook or the contents thereof into any other electronic format except for the sole and exclusive purpose of archival in a compressed format file. This means that you can store your copy on CD-ROM or in a ZIP/TAR/SIT type of compressed file, but you cannot convert the eBook into a non-PDF format such as a word processing document, a full-page graphic image collection, etc.
11. 'Not for resale' copies. The Author and Publisher will supply copies of the eBook to selected individuals and agencies with a reduced or zero charge, at the sole discretion of the Author and Publisher. These copies will be visibly marked indicating that they cannot be resold, distributed or published. Removal or alteration of the visible marking identifying the copy as not for resale and/or the name of the recipient is prohibited.
12. Governing Law. This Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the substantive laws in force in the United Kingdom. This Agreement will not be governed by the conflict of law rules of any jurisdiction or the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods, the application of which is expressly excluded. This means that as you are purchasing the eBook from the Author, who is a UK Resident, your purchase is controlled by the UK laws on refunds, returns, fitness for purpose, etc. and the eBook itself is controlled by the UK laws on copyright and computer crime, even if you live in another country.
Issued this day February 25 2007. Revised for supplier status 15 August 2009.
Information presented on this website with the exception of the eBook contents (as covered by the above EULA) are provided for information only, and no liability is accepted for inaccuracy, loss of service or connectivity. External links are provided with no liability whatsoever for their content, accuracy or availability. Research data published on this website remains the copyright of Dr DF Merchant and the Life on a Line Authors Group, and may not be used in commercial publications without express prior permission. Reproduction of such research data for academic and education is permitted provided no product or service endorsement is implied and full ownership attribution is visible.
Images and artwork present on this website may be used, reproduced and printed solely for the purposes of advertising the website and/or Life on a Line. All other uses require express prior permission.